This is the best whipped cream that I have ever had, vegan or not. It doesn’t separate after sitting in the fridge, so it’s an ideal make-ahead dish. It’s great as an icing for cakes or cupcakes, topping a sundae or any other dessert.
Coconut whipped cream
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, chilled for at least 24 hours
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sweetener (maple syrup, powdered sugar, cane sugar, etc), or to taste
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Chill the can of coconut milk in the fridge for at least 24 hours. I like to keep a few cans in the fridge at all times so I don’t have to wait.
- About 1 hour before making the coconut whip, chill a mixing bowl in the freezer.
- After chilling the can, flip the can over, open the can and pour out the coconut water. Scoop the solid white coconut cream into a deep bowl. Discard the coconut water or save it for another use (such as in smoothies).
- Using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the cream until fluffy and smooth. Add in sweetener to taste and vanilla.
- Return whipped cream to fridge until ready to use. It will firm when chilled and soften at room temperature. This will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 1 week.